in grades 7 to 9 to help me make it a reality.
For this test group, I would like to gather students who
- want to build a simple Weebly site.
- are willing to participate in a writing community by posting their pieces for review, and commenting on pieces posted by other students.
- are flexible and patient, willing to experiment as we seek to figure out what will work best in this forum.
Clearly I will benefit, but students will benefit as well.
- They will diffuse the winter blues with a unique project.
- They will have a place to display their creativity as they build a site and share their writing.
- They will be a part of a small community of students wanting to grow as writers.
- They will have a real audience for their writing, giving them purpose for the process.
- They will have a qualified teacher giving them guidance and feedback.
The commitment is short: four weeks, from January 6-31, 2014.
It is inexpensive: $35 for the month.
The workload is reasonable. Students will set up a simple site with a Home page and an About Me page. They will go through the writing process for a minimum of two pieces, submitting their drafts by specified deadlines so that their peers and I can give them suggestions for revision. They will also offer revision comments to their peers. Other assignments may be added to make the experience as beneficial as possible, although they will be completed as the student desires.
Space is limited to ten students.
Registration deadline is December 18. Register here.